Douglas A. Glenn
Mr. Doug Glenn began Performing the Duties of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller)/Chief Financial Officer on January 20, 2021
Mr. Doug Glenn has served as the Deputy Chief Financial Officer (DCFO) in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) since December 2020. He is the principal advisor to the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller)/Chief Financial Officer, as well as to Defense senior leaders, on all issues involving the amended Chief Financial Officers Act of 1990 (CFO Act) and related financial management reforms. He is responsible for the improvement and sustainment of DoD’s financial framework inclusive of policy, systems, audit, and reporting, compliant with government accounting standards, federal regulations and laws, and best practices leading to the effective, efficient, and legal use of DoD resources. His portfolio includes ongoing annual financial audit support and issue remediation, as well as oversight of the Department’s internal control programs; improper payment reduction; cost transparency via the Digital Accountability and Transparency Act; cost accounting initiatives; CFO and FM of the Future strategy attainment; CFO data transformation for better decision making; and various other business process reforms to streamline, simplify, and drive DoD financial excellence.
Formerly, Mr. Glenn was the DCFO at the Department of the Interior; Finance Director at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration; and DCFO at the General Services Administration (GSA). His proudest career accomplishments include:
- Removing all material weaknesses at the Department of Interior;
- Reducing GSA’s significant deficiencies from six to two;
- Achieving the second best audit and internal control report of all CFO Act agencies;
- Filing a Performance and Accountability Report in record time (six days early);
- Presenting to the Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board on the future of federal financial reporting);
- Achieving a green rating at GSA for the President’s Management Agenda for financial performance, improving from red when he started; and
- Raising awareness of the value that the Government financial industry provides every day.
A native of San Diego, California, Mr. Glenn holds a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Finance from the University of Colorado at Boulder. He is a former Certified Public Accountant (CPA) (despite the American Institute of CPAs losing his exam on one occasion) and a former Certified Management Accountant. He has coauthored procedures listed in Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Bulletin No. 07-04, “Audit Requirements for Federal Financial Statements,” and portions of the OMB Circular A-123 Implementation Guide. In addition, he co-chaired OMB Circular A-136 committees from 2008 to 2010; served as President of the Washington, D.C., chapter of the Association of Government Accountants (AGA); served as national AGA president 2016 to 2017; and has landed on and been launched off an aircraft carrier at sea (prior to joining the Department of Defense).